Thursday, November 11, 2010

New Korean Name

Today, I got called "Jennipah Smell." I went to the dry cleaners to get my coats and scarves cleaned. The lady then asked me to write down my name and phone number so she could enter them into her computer. I wrote it down in English and then handed her the paper. She looks at the name and starts sounding it out. She said "Jen-ni-pah S-sm-Smell." I tried to correct her. I said Small really slowly and clearly however, no matter what I said, she could only say smell. So, at the dry cleaners, I am now "Jennipah Smell.

3 comments:

  1. and you say I smell...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only it were the first time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog by accident because I have been wondering why they have such small brooms in Korea. Your blog post popped up and it just made me laugh (sorry). Anyway, I started reading your blog, and I have to say that I recently had the pleasure of spending two days with a S. Korean guy who was here in Chicago -a friend of a friend- Anyway, I was showing him around all the tourist spots and I had switched my handbag from one hand to the other because it had gotten quite heavy. He suddenly grabbed my purse and started carrying it for me.

    I put up a fight, and so did he. He kept on saying that him carrying my purse was a normal thing in Korea, to which I replied "But not in America" lol We kept on arguing about this, and finally, I just gave up. As he said, "Your purse is not heavy and if we were in Korea, I would be doing this for you anyway, so just go along with me and quit arguing" It looked and felt odd, but it made him happy. ;D

    -ar

    ReplyDelete