Sunday, May 8, 2011

Jen versus The Broom

I will never use the broom again. Never! I am done with sweeping. If you come over, I am sorry but, the floor will be gross. I’ll see what I can do with just a mop but, I don’t have high hopes for it. I won’t let Luiz use the broom either. It’s just too dangerous.

This all started on Thursday, when I had the day off. It was Children’s Day (a major holiday in Korea) so, I didn’t have to work. Luiz, however, did. So, to be productive, I decided to clean the house. That turned out to be the biggest mistake ever.

Now, to give you a little background information, let me explain about Korean brooms. They are tiny! I have no idea why they are so weirdly small but, they are. I’m only 5’3” and I am way too tall to use them. I swear that these tiny brooms are the reason why all of the old ladies in Korea are permanently hunchbacked.

Anyway, I was on my hands and knees, sweeping the dust into the dustpan when I felt the most excruciating pain of my life, all in my lower back. I felt like I was dying. Then, I just collapsed on the floor. I seriously couldn’t walk or even attempt to stand. My back would not allow my legs to cooperate. I ended up crawling to the couch and using my arms to pull myself onto it. I stayed like that for about 30 minutes.

Finally, I could move around again. It hurt and I was really stiff but, I could walk. I took some Advil and halfway finished cleaning. It was really hard to finish but, I wasn’t going to let the broom completely annihilate me.

For the rest of the day, my back was killing me! I even had trouble sleeping because my back pain would wake me up when I shifted in my sleep. It took three days for my back to get back to normal. I swear, during that three days, every time I took an Advil, the broom laughed. It knew that it had won. So, now, I will never use that evil, vertebrae breaking broom again!

The Broom
Look how small it is! Sadly, this was the tallest broom at the store. There were actually shorter brooms available.


The entire broom is only 23 inches long!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe your mom could bring a regular-sized broom from the U.S.

    ReplyDelete