Thursday, July 20, 2017

Keep Your Knees Covered

I’ve been coming and going to Korea since 2009. This last time, I was gone from 2013 to 2017. Somewhere in that time, a new habit started. Korean women now cover their knees when they sit down while wearing a skirt or dress.

In Korea, men and women are free to wear whatever they so choose. Now, sleeveless or lowcut tops are frowned upon but they aren’t illegal. A common outfit here is a miniskirt and a button-down blouse.

Since miniskirts are so prevalent, I don’t get the blanket over the knees. If you can see my knees while I’m standing, why are they suddenly offensive when I’m seated?

I looked this up on Google and found a few comments about this. Most seem to agree that this is done because, when seated skirts or dresses ride up a bit. If you’re wearing a micromini, this could be problematic. The blanket allows you to cross and uncross your legs without flashing anyone.

The logic behind this habit makes sense but it’s really hot outside. I don’t want to cover my knees with a fleece blanket. I have heard that some women carry scarves for this so they have something light and stylish. I’d be more inclined to do this but I never wear anything short enough to need it.

A basket of blankets at a coffee shop. I saw several women using them to cover their legs. 
__________

The pedicurist covered my legs for me. My shorts were not at all short.
__________

No comments:

Post a Comment