Thursday, August 17, 2017

First Birthdays and Fortune Telling

A few months ago, I was invited to a first birthday party. I immediately knew it would be fancy since it was at a nice buffet and not at the child’s home or at something like Chuck E. Cheese’s. I was right.

When I walked into the private room, I knew this wasn’t going to be like the other kids’ birthdays I’d been to. The party room had a stage, two hosts, a dressing room, and a sitting room.  Mom and Dad wore matching red and white hanboks and the Birthday Boy wore a multicolored hanbok. Everyone’s hair and makeup had been professionally done.

The big event at the party was the doljabi (돌잡이). For this, parents present the birthday boy/girl with several items on a tray. He or she picks one and it determines his/her future. At this party, the tray had money (wealth), a big spool of thread (long life), a pen (scholar/intellectual), and a mouse (tech career).  

I didn’t realize how big of a deal this was until the baby didn’t pick anything. His parents presented him with the tray several times and he didn’t pick anything. He just clutched his father and looked confused. Eventually, after having the tray presented 20+ times, the baby picked the money. When he picked the money, the Dad started crying. I guess there was a lot riding on this. Personally, I like to think that the baby didn’t pick anything because he will have a unique path in life that can’t be easily summed up in one object.

Overall, I enjoyed the party. The food was great and it’s nice knowing the Birthday Boy will grow up to be rich. 

The Stage Area
__________

My Party Favor
__________

No comments:

Post a Comment