Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Confession

I think it’s time for me to make a confession. My mom’s just going to out me when she gets home so, I might as well do it. Here goes:

I, Jen Small, walk around Korea carrying a parasol. I know what you’re thinking. No, I don’t also dress like this:

or this:

I just wear my normal clothes and carry a parasol. It’s really not that odd. Lots of women in Korea use them. Since my parasol folds up to a very small and portable size, it’s actually a very practical item. Sunscreen is expensive here and it’s sticky and sorta medicinal smelling. Also, the population is generally fair skinned. Plus, most Koreans live in big cities where they walk a lot and use public transportation rather than drive. So, with all of these factors, a parasol is a practical way to protect yourself from the sun while walking around the city. I still use sunscreen but, if I’m just walking to work or doing something else quickly, I will use my parasol as sun protection.

I know you may have a few questions so, I will attempt to anticipate and answer them.

  • Yes, I will be taking my parasol back to the US with me. So, you will all get a chance to see it. Plus, I plan on continuing to use it in the US.
  • Yes, many Korean women do use parasols.
  • No, I am the only foreigner that I have seen with a parasol.
  • Yes, Korean women do give me approving smiles when they realize that I am a foreigner carrying a parasol.
  • Yes, I do win a ton of brownie points with the ajummas for carrying a parasol.
  • Yes, parasols are inexpensive and easy to find in Korea.
  • Yes, other foreigners do mock me for carrying a parasol. I get called “Scarlett” a lot. (They’re just jealous because I won’t get wrinkles from sun damage.)
  • No, umbrellas and parasols are not the same thing. My parasol is made of fabric not umbrella material. It is not water-resistant in any way.

Ok, now that I have that off my chest, I feel totally free to continue my parasol use back in the Western world.


A Korean lady with a parasol.
---------------

A picture of me from the back with my parasol. I'm on the right. I have pointed out two other parasol users in the picture.
---------------

2 comments:

  1. It's a long European tradition, it's about time it comes back to the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is common in Bangladesh too. As a little girl in NYC, the use of the parasol AND umbrella used to confuse me--that is, until my mother explained how useful they are on sunny days. I love yours! Looks a bit anime-esque.

    ReplyDelete