Saturday, July 2, 2011

Pics from Jeju

My mom and I took a now infamous trip to Jeju Island this past week. The trip is infamous because, apparently, a bit of a rumor started that we died during Typhoon Meari. I'm here to tell you that we did not die, drown, or get washed away in a flood. We did, however, get rained on several times and we had to walk around with umbrellas in our purses. It was actually a blessing that there was so much rain. The lingering effects of the typhoon kept the weather very overcast thus preventing me from getting seriously sunburned. Also, I think that it helped to keep the warm weather in check.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the geography of South Korea, here is a map. I highlighted Jeju Island.

Here are some pictures from our trip.

Here is my mom in the medical center at Gimhae Airport, Busan's airport. My mom forgot her blood pressure medicine in Daejeon so, she had the nurse check her blood pressure.

---------------
The ocean from really far away. I was standing on a bridge when I took this. The ocean is in the background.

---------------

A river by our hotel



---------------

The resort area we were staying at was on a cliff. The beach was at the bottom of the cliff. So, we had to climb down a series of stairs to get down the cliff to the beach.

---------------
The view from the staircase.

---------------
A tunnel on the staircase to the beach.

---------------

The beach




---------------


Cheonjeyeon Waterfall

---------------


A show at the Africa Museum.
My mom and I kinda wondered if these people were really African or just black English teachers that were recruited to star in the show.

---------------








5 comments:

  1. Looks like Jurassic Park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks way cool! But I'm curious. How did that rumor start? =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Priscilla,

    The rumor started just like any other rumor: a little truth and a little imagination. My aunts hear that a typhoon hit S. Korea, specifically Jeju Island. Also, they heard that seven people died during the typhoon. I also didn't respond to an email in a timely manner. Somehow, they put this together and the rumor became that my mom and I died in the typhoon. Thankfully, one of my aunts called my cell phone to check on us and found out that we were alive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Suites Hotel at the Jungmun Resort.

    ReplyDelete