Friday, July 15, 2011

The Eye of the Beholder

Female beauty in Korea is a topic that is on everyone’s mind. Here, people believe that no one ugly ever did anything good and no one beautiful ever did anything bad. This is reflected in the way women dress, all the time. It’s not unusual to see a mom in heels, full hair and makeup, and a party dress at the grocery store, with the baby, at 11am on a Tuesday. Even if you do see a mom in sweats, those are expensive, coordinated sweats and the hair and the makeup are impeccable. Plus, she’s probably wearing heels.

That said, the Korean standard of female beauty is a little odd by Western standards. Some of it is the same. But, some of it is a little strange to us.

The biggest thing that a Korean woman is judged by is her body. This is right in line with the Western standard of beauty. However, the preferred body structure is a little different. Korean women, ideally, would like to be about 5’3” to 5’6” and very slim. Koreans like a level of slenderness that is nearly impossible for any non Asian woman to achieve. It is a slenderness that is pretty much a combination of both genetics and diet. It’s hard to be that thin and not have the genetic predisposition towards incredibly tiny bones and absolutely no muscle. Basically, the ideal body structure is that of a 14 year old girl or a short runway model. Things like implants are pretty much unheard of in Korea. They do plastic surgery like liposuction and calf muscle shaving for skinnier legs.

The next biggest thing that Korean women are judged by is their skin tone. Koreans like pale skin. In this aspect, Koreans are very different from Americans. In the US, tan skin is worshipped. Americans spend billions on spray tans, tanning beds, bronzers, etc. Koreans find this hilarious! I’ve mentioned American tanning habits to Koreans and their response is always something like “People pay to get tan? But, the sun is free! Why are they spending money on this?” Koreans actually do the opposite. They spend their money on sunscreen, skin whiteners, and parasols.

I like the Korean preference for fair skin. At home, in South Florida, I get a lot of comments about my skin – none of them complimentary. In Korea, people like my skin tone. In fact, the ladies at HomePlus (like a Super Target) go out of their way to help me maintain my pasty pallor. In the spring, when I was shopping for sunscreen, I was at HomePlus trying to read the labels on sunscreen. As I was looking at a bottle of SPF 30, a clerk approached me. She didn’t say a word. She just took that bottle of SPF 30 out of my hand and put it back on the shelf. Next, she took a bottle of SPF 50 from the shelf and put it in my hand. She then gave me a satisfied smile, bowed, and walked away.

The HomePlus ladies also try to sell me whitening creams and lotions. I once even had a student ask me what whitening cream I use. Apparently, the school sent out emails to the parents with a picture of their child’s teacher and a short bio. The little girl’s mom liked my coloring and wanted to know which products I use. (For the record, I just use a parasol and sunscreen. I don’t use the whitening creams.)

The last thing a Korean woman is judged by is her face. The Koreans have sort of a strange facial preference. They like the V Line. A V Line is, basically, a heart shaped face. It’s someone with a wide forehead and a pointy chin. Think of Reese Whitherspoon. Koreans spend a lot of money on plastic surgery to make their jaws and chins fit the V shape. I’ve never heard so many comments on face shape in my life.

This preference also leads to strange pictures. Korean girls love to take pictures either making a kissy face or with their hands on their cheeks. They believe that this makes their chins look pointier.

Another aspect of Korean beauty is the size of the face. Koreans like a small face. It’s actually a little strange to hear things like “Teacher, you have a very small face!” At first, I thought the kid was making fun of me, like when I would tell my brothers that they have big heads. No, it turns out that the kid was giving me a compliment. She likes my small face.

Koreans, like Westerners, prefer big, round eyes. I find this a little odd because, naturally, this isn’t what most Koreans have. I guess people just always want what is rare and different. A huge percentage of Koreans (male and female) get surgery done to their eyes. The most popular is eyelid surgery to get a double eyelid.

A double eyelid is something that pretty much every non East Asian person is born with. Apparently, I’ve had one my whole life and didn’t even know it. Only about 15% to 20% of East Asians have it. Basically, a double eyelid is this extra little crease in our lid area, right about the lashline. It’s only visible at certain angles but, Koreans go crazy for it. They feel that having this little extra crease enhances the eye. Personally, I can’t really tell. I can tell when someone has had their eyes made larger (through a creepy incision at the corner of the eye) but, I can’t spot the double eyelid despite the fact that I have one. To me, it makes no difference. But, it’s a hugely popular plastic surgery here.

Another aspect of the face that Koreans like to reshape is the nose. Koreans like a “high nose.” I’m not exactly sure what this means. I do know that Korean women spend a lot of money on surgeries to get the bridge of the nose made more prominent. In the US, people don’t usually pay to get larger noses so, this preference is a little different than Western ideals.

The overall effect of these surgeries is a little jarring. The women who really go all out end up looking sorta like half Asian Stepford wives. They are pretty but, in a strange way. The larger eyes and bigger nose make them look more Western but, they still kinda look Asian too. It’s confusing.

Now, what does this mean for foreigners? Well, not a whole lot. Basically, if you’re considered attractive in your home country, you’ll probably be considered attractive here too. You’ll just be considered a little fatter here than at home.



Before and After the Double Eyelid Surgery

---------------


A Double Eyelid Kit

It has tape and an applicator to create a temporary double eyelid.

(Edit: People have pointed out that this particular kit is from Japan. I knew that. The writing on the package is Japanese, not Korean. I have seen double eyelid tape in Korea. I just couldn't find a pic online. I feel weird taking pics of double eyelid tape at a store or buying the tape to take pics of at home. )

---------------

Applying the eyelid tape

---------------


A Korean singer and the surgeries she is rumored to have had.

---------------


Miss Korea 2006: Before and After

(Edit: It has been pointed out this is not the same person. I don't know if this is true or not. I stole the graphic from another website. )

---------------


Edit: Many people have complained that the eyelid tape I had was from Japan. Well, here is eyelid tape from Korea. I'm not sure what this really changes but, it has hangul on it.

26 comments:

  1. I wish Koreans would just keep their original eyelids. It's funny that a people with unrelenting focus on education is almost equally obsessed with appearances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Korean economy went down drastically a decade ago. Job opportunities became scarce, and employers became choosy. Job applicants.. they all started to have great GPA, great TOEIC score, and etc. So now having good looks became one criterion for a new recruit, because good-looking employees will attract more clients

      Delete
  2. ... BEFORE after its not the same person

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excuse me? Two women in the last picture is not the same person.

    Left: Cara(Singer member Kang Jiyeong
    Right: Miss Korea Lee Hanui

    That can be mistaken as the same person you are amazing.

    You know, in Korea there are many good plastic surgeon.

    But, proble.

    Korea's netizen's very smart.

    They are very easy to do.
    Non-celebrity to find pictures of people's past.

    So do not dwell on bad plastic surgery.

    For example, to write a good impression in the interview or something more is the reason.

    On the Internet before and after pictures are a lot of plastic surgery is a rare case.

    But they says.
    "The person in the photo jeongwahu, so with less money and the time of surgery has changed. You can be too."



    In fact, pre-and post-surgery photos multiple times, but a lot of money
    The hospital, surgery can be changed again so that only people that really want to look as is.


    Koreans, Americans surgery before and after looking at photos.

    "Is it real? American plastic surgeons Marvellous."

    And... the first picture is not Korean. is Japanese.


    Koreans do not use double eyelid tape.
    So do not sell in the market.

    On the Internet can buy double eyelid tape. (all Japanese brands)

    In Japan, many people use the double eyelid tape, big-eyed people to use.
    Japanese cuteness keunnun is important because it stresses.


    Korean think. big big big big eye is unnatural.

    Koreans emphasize sensuality.



    - In from Korea. 15yearold girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's not the koreans that like big eyes, that's the japanese. koreans do like double eyelids, but it's very important for them to look natural. so they keep their eyebrowes thick and don't wear makeup daily. and the eyelid tape is japanese.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm an Asian. And I have double eyelides naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must be part of that 15% to 20% of East Asians with a double eyelid that I mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm from Scandinavia, my family is all Scandinavian, I don't have double eyelids.
    I must be adopted, or maybe mum had an Asian lover .. it all makes sense now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is not true that Koreans don't wear makeup on a daily basis. For those that cannot get the surgery to make their eyes and faces fit the ideal, they wear makeup as an alternative. I have a korean roommate who spends practically half an hour putting on her face and makeup. It is true vanity is not just a Korean thing, but I do not wear makeup and I find her numerous eye creams, perfumes, special lotions, and foundations ridiculous. I do not think I have met a more vain person in my life...

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Korean ex-girlfriend was equally obsessed with eyelids, eyelashes, nose shape etc. That, combined with the kilogrammes (or litres) of makeup she was putting on every day eventually brought me to exasperation. Sheer madness. What the heck is wrong with Korean people?
    I live in Japan now and although they are quite obsessed with appearance too, I have yet to see the insanity I was witnessing on a daily basis in Korea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop bitching about Asian women and stick to your own race then. It's that simple.

      Delete
    2. Korea per capita has the most plastic surgeries in the world.

      According to the society of international anesthetic plastic surgeons, 1% of south Koreans have had cosmetic surgery. Even at that most surgeries are non invasive. Brazil and Italy have nearly as much surgeries per capita.

      Does the media blow things out of proportion?

      Delete
  11. As a previous commenter posted, the "BEFORE" pic is K-pop's Kara singer, Kang Ji Young. And the "AFTER" pic is former Miss Universe 3rd runner-up, Honey Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey everyone!

    I tried to incorporate everyone's comments, new info, etc into the post. Please read the edits under the pics.

    Also, remember, this is JEN in Korea not the CIA World Factbook. My opinions, perceptions, and observations are going to be included. I do not make any claims otherwise.

    Thank you so much for reading!!!

    - Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Here, people believe that no one ugly ever did anything good"? If you're going to make bold accusations like this based on little experience you have, don't expect Koreans to act civil. Also, didn't you learn in high school to always cite your sources? You can't just "steal" photos from somewhere and say "Something wrong with this pic? Oh well.. Not my fault." Also, it's only Korean girls who worship the flat-chested skinny body structure. Most Korean guys prefer a curvy girl with big boobs (Although the definition of being 'curvy' is quite different in Korea) Don't call yourself a blogger if you can't follow basic principles of journalism

      Delete
    2. That would be part of the opinions, perceptions, and observations that I mentioned above. Also, that statement was used a a hyperbole in an introduction to grab the reader's attention. Clearly, it worked.

      Delete
  13. Just enjoy what you are, what your genes gave you, don't crave for something impossible.

    You may need to undergo as many as 30 different surgeries if you should look significantly different as you see in here the Before and After pictures. And that's going to be disastrous whether or not it will make you beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not sure why you are so angry. There is no need to curse and call me names. This is simply the opinion of one foreigner who lived in Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is a difference between blogging and journalism. The blogger has never claimed to be a journalist. There is a freedom in blogging that journalists do not have. Anonymous (March 15, 9:57 PM) understands neither blogging nor journalism. His/Her post is null.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jen:

    You mentioned you weren't sure if the pic of the young Korean woman posted were actually two people. Here's proof that the person on the left is NOT the person on the right.

    http://sp9.fotolog.com/photo/57/59/106/kangjiyoung/1236970477040_f.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  17. Make sure to check you're resources, the before and after pic aren't even the same person! The before pic is a famous singer and the after pic is Miss Korea Honey Lee! Its important you don't put false pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A fellow Floridian! I know what it feels like to get insulted about pale skin in such a horribly sunny place. Well I loved the post. I'm always looking up Korean beauty ideals to see how they differ from ours. I thought that they preferred smaller lips though. I am not quite sure. The pictures are interesting even if they are 'false'

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just letting you know the girl in pink is a Japanese idol, Yukie kawamura.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Too bad and sad that I have to agree with you,Gen.
    I apologize for some rude comments above.
    It is getting worse regarding this topic.
    I wanted to get rid of my natural double eye lids when i was a teenager.

    A korean who prefers natural Korean beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for writing this blog and drawing attention to this illness. Something interesting Visit us

    ReplyDelete