Thursday, September 7, 2017

Dessert, Korea Style

Korea has one dessert that is unlike anything I’ve ever had before. It’s called patbingsu. It’s shaved ice, red beans, sweetened condensed milk, fruit, and other toppings. If it doesn’t have the red beans, it’s called bingsu.

I first had patbingsu several years ago and hated it. I just couldn’t get over the cold, sweet beans. I avoided it for years until I had a modern version of bingsu while out with my coworkers. We had an Oreo one and a strawberry cheesecake one. They were delicious. I even didn’t know the version without beans existed. I’d been avoiding it for years for nothing.

Last month, I went to a volunteer event at an orphanage.  We had a make it yourself patsbingsu bar for the kids. I added everything except the red beans on mine and it was good. A little soupy due to the melting ice, but good.

The weather is cooling and bingsu season is coming to an end but, I’ll be ready next time. 

Traditional Patbingsu
The first one I had looked like this.
__________

Modern Bingsu
Oreo & Strawberry Cheesecake
__________

Do It Yourself Bingsu
__________

No comments:

Post a Comment