Thursday, September 28, 2017

The Name Game

Korean and Western names are different. I’m aware of this but yesterday’s visit to the bank really emphasized the point. I went to the bank to open a new account. My old account is at a small bank that can’t easily wire money to the US. Since I often do this, I needed a more convenient bank.

Anyway, as the teller was setting up my bank account, she realized she couldn’t fit my name on my debit card. As she put it “The system allows 20 characters and spaces and your name has 23.” I told her to eliminate my middle name and she looked confused. This dilemma led to me explaining Western names to the teller.

Korean names, like Western names, have three parts to them. The difference is that they are much shorter and the first name is a double name while there is no middle name.  Also, the last name (family name) is first and the first name (given name) is last. For example, the president of Korea is Moon Jae-In. Moon is his last name and Jae-In is his first name. If he were in the US, his name would be Jae-In Moon.

To explain my name, I had to write down the teller’s name and then write my name under hers so she could see how the parts compared. This convinced her that it wasn’t really necessary for my middle name to go on my debit card.

Over the years, I’ve had debit cards with an interesting array of names. Some have had just my first name, some my first and middle name. One had my first and middle name but only the first two letters of my last name. Despite this, I never had a problem using the cards. Either no one noticed or they simply didn’t care.

Korean names and Western names are fairly similar. It’s just that Western names are often too long to fit properly in Korean systems. 

What's your name Korean name?
__________

1 comment:

  1. What do Korean people do with names that are common and duplicated? How are these differentiated? Is this an issue or do they have many different given names?

    ReplyDelete